Sunday, December 13, 2015

Let Delhi Breathe!

I have traveled to the capital of independent India innumerable times since my childhood. I love Delhi. I got an opportunity to work in Delhi last year. It is an awesome experience to be in Delhi for more than a year now. Different cities wear different looks during different seasons. Delhi is at its best during winter. Delhi's fashion is great, Delhi’s roads are great, Delhi with the patronage of Government of India is no doubt the one of the best cities to live in with various amenities including public spaces like parks, gardens and auditorium.

You need luck to enjoy a sunny Sunday in December as Delhites got on the second Sunday of the month. A metro ride from Green Park to Rajiv Chowk took me less than 20 minutes. After spending some time in Jain Book Centre, I felt like going to Daryaganj old book market. I had not been  there earlier. While travelling from Canaught Place to Daryaganj again had the feeling which I am sure about Delhi now. I do not have statistics with me but almost convinced that Delhi is the most unequal amongst the metros in India. Due to heavy rate of migration from different states of India, particularly BIMARU states, Delhi can afford ' naukar' culture very much. For ironing a shirt in Delhi's posh Uday Park, I pay Rs 4! How is the rate in Chennai or Mumbai? I guess even poor Kolkata is not cheaper! For a rikshaw ride from Daryaganj to New Delhi metro station, I had to pay Rs 20, very similar to poor Kolkata or even less. Power brokers in the country have ensured that unorganized labourers are available in serving their masters in the capital of largest democracy of the world.


Delhi has problems of pollution, problems of crime but still any one will love the beautiful greeneries of Delhi. One of the greenest city in the country is Delhi.You may come across parrots often and occasionally a peacock as well. We know Delhi's pollution level higher than any acceptable norms. A recently elected AAM AADMI Chief Minister of Delhi is trying to control the situation with his educated brain but limited powers ( muscle power as well as constitutional power). Let's pray, let Delhi breath. Let Delhi continue welcome the parrots as well as immigrants from different parts of the country!

No comments:

Post a Comment